[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] GUIDING PRESENCE w/ iele paloumpis :: JUNE 24 + 25

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Wed May 31 13:04:01 EDT 2017

*Guiding Presence Workshop w/ iele paloumpis at Shebang 6/24 + 6/25*

Dance artist, teacher and healer iele paloumpis is joining us in Philly
June 24 and 25 for a 4 part workshop exploring witchcraft and earth-based
rituals as somatic practices of integration, acceptance and healing.

Throughout the weekend of June 24 and 25 we will be experiencing the
energies of a New Moon in Cancer. In addition to this New Moon, we will
also be sensing and learning about the effect of three different planets in
retrograde, a Grand Fire Trine, and other important astrological transits
occurring that weekend. These planetary influences have a visceral effect
on our bodies, so we will simply be tapping into what is already there to
generate somatic healing.

*$80 Pre-registration deal for the whole series if you register by Monday
June 12.*
Individual sessions are $25 each. These workshops can be taken
individually, but attending the full series is highly recommended as there
will be an interesting interplay between classes. *Space is limited and
spots are filling up* so register now
<http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/guiding-presence-workshop-series>
.

*THIS WORKSHOP IS NOT JUST FOR DANCERS OR PERFORMERS. Forward on to anyone
interested in witchcraft and healing arts.*

*Honing Bodily Intuition: *
Many of us have experienced intuition as an instinctive understanding of a
situation or envrionment, even in the form of predicting future events. Our
bodies carry an intuition all their own and can provide important clues
about the pathways ahead if we know how to read and understand them. This
workshop will focus on developing kinesthetic awareness as an exercise
toward clairsentience. Participants will deepen their intuition by learning
to literally locate and receive messages from their bodily feelings and
visceral sensations. If Tarot is a part of your practice, please bring a
deck to class.
*Saturday 6/24 11am-2pm*

*Hallowed Ground: Sacred Space and Psychopomps in Times of Transition:*
A psychopomp is a guide whose purpose is to accompany souls during times of
significant transition, including at the end of life. Although psychopomps
have played a significant role in the spiritual practices of many cultures,
legacies of violence have erased much of this history, harming our
collective ability to heal. In this workshop, participants will learn how
psychopomps have been depicted in imagery, mythology, and oral histories
that have been passed down for generations. Creating intentional spaces
during times of realignment can play an important role in our ability to
process loss, so we will explore various methods of altar building that
will assist us in reaching our guides. We will discuss the potential for
maintaining meaningful connections with loved ones who have passed, and
explore the possibility of accessing ancestral knowledge only the blood in
our hearts may know. Please bring at least one object or picture that feels
meaningful to you, ideally something that connects past and present.
*Saturday 6/24 3-7pm*

*Omnipresent Medicines:*
The possibility for healing is all around us. Images, Words, Sound, Touch,
Movement, Plants, and Ritual are all forms of medicine in the sense that
they carry potent energy. Whether consciously or subconsciously, we
experience these energies in our bodies and spirits. Not all medicine is
beneficial or useful for all things, and like any powerful tool, can be
misused, especially within violent systems that are meant to control and
oppress. Against all odds, it is important to keep the faith that the
Earth, Universe, and our individual and collective consciousness offer what
we need to restore balance. In this workshop we will explore these
omnipresent medicines that, when accessed for the highest good, can promote
individual and communal wellness. Participants will learn ways to tap into,
experience, and share these powerful healing energies that have the
potential to rejuvenate Body, Mind, Heart, and Spirit.
*Sunday 6/25 11am-2pm*

*Witchcraft: A Corporeal Practice*Over the past three years, changes in my
health and body shifted the ways I approach dance and daily life. Without
concrete answers from doctors or various bodyworkers, I began looking to
witchcraft and earth-based rituals as somatic practices of integration,
acceptance and healing. I've also been thinking a lot about how all bodies
- whether elderly, disabled, or otherwise "different" - can enter into
dance. For this workshop, we will look to magical herbs, astrology, and the
lunar calendar, as well as our own unique and defiant bodies, to generate
restorative movement. Come with an awareness of something you might like to
shed, heal, and/or embrace.

This workshop is for anyone interested in connecting to their bodies. There
will be time to improvise and make movement, but mostly I want to make sure
folks get whatever they want out of this workshop. If dancing or
improvising feels intimidating/not right in the moment, participants can
engage in other equally valid ways (i.e. through writing, drawing,
observing, etc.) Generally, I will encourage everyone to take part in a
group improvisation/movement practice (simply because I thinking feeling
our bodies in motion is so important), but this can manifest in multiple
ways, and it's totally at your discretion. Overall, the goal during this
workshop is to tune into our bodies in whatever ways feel good to us as
individuals.
*Sunday 6/25, 3-6pm*

REGISTER HERE.
<http://www.thewholeshebangphilly.com/take-classes/guiding-presence-workshop-series>
email art.at.shebang at gmail.com with any questions. Or if you have questions
directly about the work, feel free to contact iele at
ielepaloumpis at gmail.com

iele paloumpis comes from a long line of self-identified witches who have
passed down generations of family folklore. As a life-long dance
artist, iele feels that engaging in a movement practice can be deeply
restorative. In 2006, they graduated from Hollins University under the
direction of Donna Faye Burchfield. iele's healing work is rooted in
kinesthetic awareness, Tarot, herbal medicine, and some astrological
know-how. They have practiced Tarot for 19 years, most recently under the
mentorship of Eva Yaa Asantewaa, and feel grateful to have had the
opportunity to study herbology under the tutelage of Rosemary Gladstar this
past summer. iele is currently on a path toward becoming an end of life
doula and is studying under the guidance of Deanna Cochran. As a disabled,
trans, queer survivor from a working class background, they empathize
across multiple axes of oppression and bring this awareness to their work
as an intuitive healer, teacher, and dance artist. iele strongly believes
healing justice is intrinsically linked to racial and economic justice, and
much of their dance-based teaching has been through free programs for
low-income students of color. At the center of their practice are ideas
exploring body-politics and artistic self-empowerment. If you're interested
in learning more, visit their website at www.ielepaloumpis.com.

--
The Whole Shebang
1813 South 11th street