[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] voice workshops with Michael Kiley this weekend

The Whole Shebang art.at.shebang at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:28:08 EDT 2017

*Personal Resonance: A Voice Class for all disciplines with Michael Kiley*
*An Introduction: Saturday March 25th 12-2pm*
*and*
*An Exploration: Sunday March 26th 5-7pm*
*participation in An Introduction is required for An Exploration
single session: $15 advance/$20 door | both sessions: $25 advance/$35 door
any level, any discipline, any one.

The act of singing has been defined by our culture as an elitist act that
only few may do. Public singing has all but disappeared from daily life.
The institutionalization and corporatization of singing has lulled us into
accepting that most of us have no business doing it. Yet singing is one of
the most beneficial personal acts of expression and healing possible within
the human form.

This two part workshop consists of An Introduction, in which you will be
introduced to physical explorations of sound and will begin the process of
reclaiming your voice as an instrument of expression and An Exploration, in
which you will move into deeper material exploration, generation, and
construction in solo and group forms. Participation in An Introduction,
previously or on March 25, is required to participate in An Exploration.
Further details about each session are below.

This workshop involves movement. Come in comfortable clothes you can move
in and bring water.

*Personal Resonance: An Introduction - March 25 12-2pm*

In Personal Resonance: An Introduction, we will question preconceptions of
what a song is and what it means to sing. We will explore the shapes of the
hollow parts of our body, learn how to fill them with sound, and use the
shape of that sound to connect to other people. We will begin the process
of reclaiming our voices as instruments of expression, regardless of
discipline. You will leave this workshop with a practice that you can carry
with you and develop to suit your own impulses. This workshop will include
detailed descriptions and explorations of diaphragmatic breathing, vocal
function and health, resonant areas, vocal registers, and the relationship
of your voice to your body, your memory and your emotions.

*Personal Resonance: An Exploration - March 26 5-7pm*

It is recommended that you attend An Introduction workshop before you
attend An Exploration workshop. Email art.at.shebang at gmail.com with
questions.

In Personal Resonance: An Exploration, we will expand on the ideas and
practices covered in An Introduction. In short, this workshop will involve
less talking and more doing. Participants will be given prompts to use
voice as an instrument to access individual identity in solo and group
scenarios. We will generate material unique to each performer in an effort
to better understand our voices as expressive representations of self.

*Michael Kiley* is a composer, sound designer, performer and educator
working in dance, theatre and public installation. Over the last 15 years,
he has been researching his interest in the human voice not as an
instrument to achieve something, but to experience something. His teaching
started to take on a full bodied practice after working with choreographer
luciana achugar during the process of otro teatro, and has continued to
evolve while collaborating with Faye Driscoll Group on the Thank You For
Coming Trilogy, as well as an ongoing process with Chelsea Murphy and Magda
San Millan. Michael is currently developing Personal Resonance as a
generative practice for a full length performance, which will involve the
audience returning to learn the practice.

--
The Whole Shebang
1813 South 11th street