[PhiladelphiaDANCE.org Listserv] The Switching performance workshop

Jumatatu Poe jumatatup at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 13:54:30 EST 2016

workshop in improvisational performance taught by Jumatatu Poe

workshop
THE SWITCHING

I like to imagine that this improvisation practice, The Switching, is a strategy in immediate evolution. I began to practice The Switching in relation to dealing with my curiosities around a question I obsessed over: “Can I change myself?” Our practice will deal with strategic essentialism – through the immediate design of creatures, or ways of being – and working with immediately identifying restrictions/limitations. For me, there is something deeply spiritual about the practice, something confusing, something humbling/humiliating about it. I feel like it has theoretical links to code switching, especially as it has to do with my Blackness and queerness, experiences of immediate compartmentalization/contextualization as a defense mechanism, as a means of survival. Please join me! I encourage all bodies, all gender expressions.
- Jumatatu Poe

WHEN: 		Saturday - Tuesday, January 7 - 10, 2017; 10am - 1pm each day

WHERE:		Community Education Center
			3500 Lancaster Avenue
			Philadelphia, PA 19104

WHO:		People interested in working on performance techniques through dance/body-based techniques;
			No previous dance experience necessary
			Attendees must RSVP via email to jumatatup at gmail.com <mailto:jumatatup at gmail.com>

HOW MUCH:	$100 series fee or sliding scale (NO INTERESTED PARTICIPANT TURNED AWAY); $80 Early Bird fee if paid by TODAY!! December 30th
			Payments preferably made via Google Wallet, or other online payment tool

ALSO:  Please be available to attend all four sessions.  The workshop will develop chronologically through all four sessions.  If you are interested in attending the first and/or second session, but have conflicts with the others, please address this in your RSVP.

This workshop is being offered in conjunction with Jumatatu’s presentations in the Endless Shout exhibition at the Institute of Contemporary Art <http://icaphila.org/exhibitions/8235/endless-shout>   Audio samplings from the workshop will be collected and presented in a regularly re-edited audio exhibit at the institute throughout the month of January.

Hope to see you soon!

photo credit above to Tayarisha Poe <http://www.tayarishapoe.com/>

smiling,
jumatatu m. poe
Artist, of the dance persuasion
jumatatup at gmail.com
http://jumatatu.org/
http://idiosyncrazy.org/

"Let us not engage the world hurriedly... Let us give continuous attention to the future, And let us give deep consideration to the consequences of things" -- Eji Ogbe

"Physical pleasure is a sensual experience no different from pure seeing or the pure sensation with which a fine fruit fills the tongue; it is a great unending experience, which is given us, a knowing of the world, the fullness and the glory of all knowing. And not our acceptance of it is bad; the bad thing is that most people misuse and squander this experience and apply it as a stimulant at the tired spots of their lives and as distraction instead of a rallying toward exalted moments." -- Rainer Maria Rilke