Philadelphia Dance Day is back and bigger than ever! In celebration of the eighth-annual nonprofit festival, several local dance companies have teamed up to offer a Saturday packed with FREE workshops, live performances and a $5 evening dance party & showcase. The goal: to unite the community in celebrating dance as a powerful platform for creative expression and physical activity.
All dance enthusiasts – regardless of experience or even coordination – are invited to take part in the fun on July 29, 2017. There will be something for everyone, from tap to tango to hip-hop for all ages. Participants are invited to sample as many free workshops as they like throughout the day, which will be held at three locations in and near Center City.
The festivities continue in the evening at the Ethical Society Building on Rittenhouse Square with a hip-hop master class, a variety of partner dance lessons and a performance showcase. While the show was initially intended to highlight our volunteer instructors, interest from student groups and other performers has grown steadily over the years and the performance has become a true capstone of the event. Attendees this summer will be treated to a full 90-minute show, featuring everything from ballet to belly dance. Afterward, the floor will open up for social and line dancing.
Philly Dance Fitness, an independent company based in Center City, began organizing this event in 2010 in honour of National Dance Day. That commemoration was originally spurred by the producers of the Fox reality show “So You Think You Can Dance,” and the national campaign is now spearheaded by the Dizzy Feet Foundation. Last July, Philadelphia Dance Day got more than 500 people dancing and a collective workshop attendance of 675!
Along with Philly Dance Fitness, the 2017 program wouldn’t be possible without the volunteer partnership of the following organizations: Ballroom Bliss, CEG Performing Arts Academy, Estilo, Headlong Studios, LAB, Major Moment Studio, Sound Space and several independent instructors.
Visit philadelphiadanceday.com for detailed class descriptions and locations. While the daytime workshops are completely free, there is a $5 charge for the evening event at the Ethical Society to help defray the cost of this and future Dance Day celebrations.
- Vervet Dance presents Semi-Composed: Metamorphosis, August 12th - July 17, 2017
- Dance Artists descend on Camp Fringe - July 7, 2017
- Koresh Dance Company presents 4th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, August 16-20 - July 5, 2017
- Philadelphia Dance Day – Fun FREE Workshops for All Ages, July 29 - June 25, 2017
- Dance Line Up for Curated 2017 Fringe Festival - June 20, 2017
- Pew Center Announces 53 New Grants for Philadelphia Artists and Organizations - June 20, 2017
- BalletX Summer Series 2017 features Matthew Neenan and Jodie Gates, and Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s Castrati, July 12-16 - June 10, 2017
- Dance at Solow Fest 2017, June 15-25 - June 9, 2017
- The Quiet Circus: River Charrette 3 at Andalusia, June 11th - May 31, 2017
- Group Motion presents the SPIEL UHR Series, June 4th - May 25, 2017