Group Motion, Philadelphia’s longest running contemporary dance company, continues with its Spiel Uhr Series presenting new performance works on June 4th, 7pm at the CEC’s Meetinghouse Theater, 3500 Lancaster Avenue, Philadelphia. Works include Solo Not Alone by San Francisco based choreographer, Aura Fischbeck, and Syria – A Fractal of We with music and video by New York based composer Niloufar Nourbakhsh, dance by the Group Motion Company, live music by Tom Motzer, and direction by Manfred Fischbeck. Partial proceeds will be donated to UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
Solo Not Alone began as an inquiry into the collective nature of the individual. Ms. Fischbeck began her process by collecting choreographic prompts from friends and mentors, which came about from a desire to feel herself as an artist reconfigured through the lens of others; to decentralize herself inside of a solo practice. She believes that we all perform for one another throughout our lives, having moments center stage and on the sidelines, but that the two need one another to co-exist. She invites you to witness her dance, and to complete the work by bringing another layer of influence that is only yours to give.
Directed by Manfred Fischbeck, Syria – a fractal of WE is an homage to the Syrian refugee crisis, and is inspired by a video with musical composition by Niloufar Nourbakhsh. It divides into two parts: first, a solo is performed by Mary-Carmen Webb that draws movement from images in the video; the second half includes group choreography based on those movements with live music by Tim Motzer. Nourbakhsh says her video and composition “explores two ways of understanding the complexity of the Middle East in mathematical terms: 1. The Middle East seems like a fractal that keeps reproducing its flawed system; and 2. Humans altogether can be seen as a fractal, and thus, we cannot be indifferent to the Syrian refugees’ crisis.”
Tickets are $20 general admission and $15 for student and artists. For more information and tickets go to www.groupmotion.org
Group Motion observes and expresses the human experience through movement, seeing dance as a universally accessible language. Our mission is to promote dance and movement as vehicles for personal and artistic expression, education, transformation and collaboration. This mission manifests through the following mediums: a professional modern dance company dedicated to the exploration and performance of multi media dance theater, ongoing improvisational movement workshops for the public, classes, and educational outreach, exchange with other local, national and international artists, and bi-annual platforms to create and present new work for established and emerging professional artists (Spiel Uhr) and for community members (Performance Project).
Group Motion’s Spiel Uhr Series
June 4th, 7:00PM
Meetinghouse Theater CEC, 3500 Lancaster Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19104
Tickets $20 and $15 (Students and Artists)
**Partial proceeds will be donated to UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency.
- Vervet Dance presents Semi-Composed: Metamorphosis, August 12th - July 17, 2017
- Dance Artists descend on Camp Fringe - July 7, 2017
- Koresh Dance Company presents 4th Annual Come Together Dance Festival, August 16-20 - July 5, 2017
- Philadelphia Dance Day – Fun FREE Workshops for All Ages, July 29 - June 25, 2017
- Dance Line Up for Curated 2017 Fringe Festival - June 20, 2017
- Pew Center Announces 53 New Grants for Philadelphia Artists and Organizations - June 20, 2017
- BalletX Summer Series 2017 features Matthew Neenan and Jodie Gates, and Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s Castrati, July 12-16 - June 10, 2017
- Dance at Solow Fest 2017, June 15-25 - June 9, 2017
- The Quiet Circus: River Charrette 3 at Andalusia, June 11th - May 31, 2017
- Group Motion presents the SPIEL UHR Series, June 4th - May 25, 2017