FringeArts presents Tania Isaac’s immersive performance experience, crazy beautiful. This dynamic solo show takes place April 27-29 at FringeArts’ waterfront headquarters, 140 N Columbus Blvd. (at Race St.). Tickets cost between $14 and $20 and are available by phone at 215-413-1318 or online at FringeArts.com.
Everything moves, splinters, fractures, and scatters.
A lyrically explosive solo movement drama, crazy beautiful is part biography, part allegory. Weaving the text of The Little Prince, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and The Old Man and the Sea with original writing and live music, Tania Isaac encapsulates a fragmented overlay of dance movements from dancehall reggae to austere gesture. Both an installation and immersive live performance, crazy beautiful guides you through the idea of perspective: what we see, what we expect, what we think we know, and how we create our own realities.
Tania Isaac’s work grapples with identity, post-colonialism, feminism, and juxtapositions of cultural influences, resulting in dances that are elegant and dramatic, yet highly accessible. Isaac has been a member of David Dorfman Dance, Rennie Harris Puremovement, and Urban Bushwomen.
An electric and commanding performer, Isaac fuses choreography with personal documentary and social commentary. crazy beautiful is part of Isaac’s “open notebook” creative method—a way of turning a room into a laboratory of investigation and participation in multiple forms.
Audiences will be welcomed into the space by walking through an installation that contains source material, journal entries, images, and objects that Isaac sourced while creating crazy beautiful. “I invite people to walk through the raw ideas and ask them to participate in some way if they are willing: by writing a comment, or in response to a posted question, by interacting, by recording their voices or movement, by being present, asking questions,” the choreographer says of her Open Notebook practice. “The idea is to create moments and impulses that allow us to acknowledge each others’ experiences and points of view, to share the very basic impulses to create, to respond, and to be curious.”
This is FringeArts’ first presentation of Tania Isaac’s work.
April 27 | 8:00pm
April 28 | 8:00pm
April 29 | 8:00pm – Performance will feature a post-show conversation
Tickets – $20 | $14 for Members | $15 for students/under-25
Call 215-413-1318 or visit to purchase tickets.
- Launch through time and space with Samantha Burns’ keep/sake: a choreographic memoir, May 5th - April 17, 2017
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre – flipping wildly across the boundaries that separate us, May 3 & 5 - April 17, 2017
- Bryn Mawr College Dance Spring Concert, April 21-22 - April 12, 2017
- FringeArts presents Tania Isaac’s Crazy Beautiful, April 27-29 - April 6, 2017
- Dance Emerge showcases eclectic work by student choreographers, April 19-22 - April 6, 2017
- Faye Driscoll’s Thank You For Coming, April 14-15 - April 3, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Principal Dancer Amy Aldridge to Retire - March 28, 2017
- FringeArts announces programming for Spring 2017 - March 22, 2017
- Tangle presents Points of Light, a new collection of aerial dance stories, April 7-9 - March 21, 2017
- Annenberg Center Live Welcomes U.S. Tour of Pilobolus’ Shadowland, April 6-8 - March 16, 2017