Muhlenberg College dancers tell their stories through movement, as the Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance Department presents “Dance Emerge,” a showcase for dance works created by emerging choreographers, April 19-22.
“Dance Emerge” will be performed in the college’s intimate Studio Theatre, a black box performance space with seating on three sides of the performance. Randall Anthony Smith is the artistic director for the concert.
“This concert is configured where the audience is encapsulating the performance space,” Smith says. “From three distinct view points, each audience member is able to get a closer look at how the performers are moving and evolving. This year’s concert surely will have you thinking about who you are and how you relate to the world.”
“Dance Emerge” will showcase 7 choreographers and 37 dancers from the department’s dance program, which is among the most highly regarded programs of its kind. The concert features design work by the department’s acclaimed professional staff: costume designer Lex Gurst and lighting designer Paul E. Theisen Jr.
The seven original dances include contemporary, jazz, and modern works that investigate such topics as death, family relationships, and the convergence of past, present, and future.
“Dance Emerge” runs April 19-22 in the Studio Theatre, Trexler Pavilion for Theatre & Dance, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St., Allentown.
Performances are April 19-22: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 8 p.m.; Saturday, April 22, at 2 and 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $8 for patrons 17 and under, and $8 for students, faculty and staff of all LVAIC colleges. For groups of 15 or more, tickets are $13.
- Philadelphia Dance Projects presents an “Informance” of Wolf-in-Skins, Nov 29-30 - October 15, 2017
- Annenberg Center Live Brings Famed Hubbard Street Dance Chicago Back to Philadelphia after 10-year Absence, Oct 20-21 - October 13, 2017
- Brandywine Ballet announces the return of Nancy Page’s Dracula, Oct 20-22 - October 12, 2017
- Acclaimed Artist- Belén Maya, Comes to Drexel University - October 10, 2017
- Alonzo King LINES Biophony & The Propelled Heart at Swarthmore College, October 5th - September 28, 2017
- femme.collective presents in the shadows - September 28, 2017
- BalletX and National Dance Institute’s Teacher Training Workshop - September 19, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Kicks-Off the 2017-2018 Season with Two Fall Programs - September 14, 2017
- Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble – From Mali to America, October 15th - September 14, 2017
- WeftWorks Delves into Myths & Rituals of Ancient Crete in Mistress of the Maze - September 4, 2017