Muhlenberg College dancers tell their stories through movement, as the Muhlenberg Theatre & Dance Department presents “Dance Emerge,” a showcase for dance works created by emerging choreographers, April 19-22.
“Dance Emerge” will be performed in the college’s intimate Studio Theatre, a black box performance space with seating on three sides of the performance. Randall Anthony Smith is the artistic director for the concert.
“This concert is configured where the audience is encapsulating the performance space,” Smith says. “From three distinct view points, each audience member is able to get a closer look at how the performers are moving and evolving. This year’s concert surely will have you thinking about who you are and how you relate to the world.”
“Dance Emerge” will showcase 7 choreographers and 37 dancers from the department’s dance program, which is among the most highly regarded programs of its kind. The concert features design work by the department’s acclaimed professional staff: costume designer Lex Gurst and lighting designer Paul E. Theisen Jr.
The seven original dances include contemporary, jazz, and modern works that investigate such topics as death, family relationships, and the convergence of past, present, and future.
“Dance Emerge” runs April 19-22 in the Studio Theatre, Trexler Pavilion for Theatre & Dance, Muhlenberg College, 2400 Chew St., Allentown.
Performances are April 19-22: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday at 8 p.m.; Saturday, April 22, at 2 and 8 p.m. Tickets are $15 for adults, $8 for patrons 17 and under, and $8 for students, faculty and staff of all LVAIC colleges. For groups of 15 or more, tickets are $13.
- Fringe Favorite JUNK takes over FORGOTTEN BOTTOM with the premiere of “…strand…” - August 19, 2017
- An amalgam of dance-theatre and digital art – Mira Treatman’s A1, Sept 24 - August 19, 2017
- Bodies and voices resonate together in Michael Kiley’s Close Music for Bodies - August 18, 2017
- Splintered Glass explores what lies beyond the surface of reality, Sept 16th - August 18, 2017
- Gunnar Montana’s KINK HAÜS is NOT for the faint of heart - August 17, 2017
- Asya Zlatina’s STORM at FringeArts 2017 - August 17, 2017
- SAM TOWER + ENSEMBLE explore a haunted house inside the body of a woman with StrangeTenants, Sept 7-17 - August 17, 2017
- 3 Pony Show presents KITH at the Neighborhood Fringe, Sept 14-16 - August 16, 2017
- A new duet by Leah Stein and violinist Diane Monroe, Sept 13-23 - August 15, 2017
- Almanac Dance Circus Theatre’s Leaps of Faith and Other Mistakes, Sept 6-23 - August 14, 2017