Tangle Movement Arts presents Points of Light, a new compilation of aerial dance from Philadelphia’s innovative circus-theater artists. Weaving stories of hope, hard-won balance, and unexpected connection with live performances on trapeze and aerial silks, Points of Light premieres at Old City’s Neighborhood House on April 7-8, 2017.
Points of Light’s nine acrobats use trapeze and aerial silks to offer tales of women traveling blindfolded, surviving under the weight of the earth, and climbing to new heights. Tangle brings these intimate portrayals of shared support and individual persistence to the historic Great Hall in Old City’s Neighborhood House.
“Bridging movement, music, and spoken word, Points of Light shares fresh stories to support and sustain,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance aims to push the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique, grand space of Neighborhood House’s Great Hall.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Points of Light premieres at Christ Church Neighborhood House (20 N. American Street) on Friday April 7th (8pm), and Saturday April 8th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
***photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- Pennsylvania Ballet Promotes Thirteen Dancers - May 16, 2017
- Pasión y Arte with guest artist Raquel Heredia at The Barnes, June 2 - May 11, 2017
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance presents Blue Prints, June 2-4 - May 8, 2017
- 7th Annual Philadelphia International Tango Festival, June 1-4 - May 4, 2017
- Bryan Koulman Dance Company & Fairmount Strings Team Up on June 9th - May 4, 2017
- Nichole Canuso Dance Company’s The Garden of Forking Paths, May 10 – June 16 - May 3, 2017
- Leah Stein premieres PORTRAITS: Duets for a More Perfect Union at Woodmere Art Museum, May 20 - May 2, 2017
- Ralph Xavier’s Here & Now Hip Hop Forum, June 10 - May 1, 2017
- Brandywine Ballet Launches Beauty & The Beast, May 19-21 - May 1, 2017
- SHARP Dance Company presents Act One, Act Two, May 12-13 - April 30, 2017