Tangle Movement Arts presents Points of Light, a new compilation of aerial dance from Philadelphia’s innovative circus-theater artists. Weaving stories of hope, hard-won balance, and unexpected connection with live performances on trapeze and aerial silks, Points of Light premieres at Old City’s Neighborhood House on April 7-8, 2017.
Points of Light’s nine acrobats use trapeze and aerial silks to offer tales of women traveling blindfolded, surviving under the weight of the earth, and climbing to new heights. Tangle brings these intimate portrayals of shared support and individual persistence to the historic Great Hall in Old City’s Neighborhood House.
“Bridging movement, music, and spoken word, Points of Light shares fresh stories to support and sustain,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance aims to push the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique, grand space of Neighborhood House’s Great Hall.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Points of Light premieres at Christ Church Neighborhood House (20 N. American Street) on Friday April 7th (8pm), and Saturday April 8th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
***photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- Philadelphia Dance Day – Fun FREE Workshops for All Ages, July 29 - June 25, 2017
- Dance Line Up for Curated 2017 Fringe Festival - June 20, 2017
- Pew Center Announces 53 New Grants for Philadelphia Artists and Organizations - June 20, 2017
- Dance at Solow Fest 2017, June 15-25 - June 9, 2017
- BalletX Summer Series 2017 features Matthew Neenan and Jodie Gates, and Annabelle Lopez Ochoa’s Castrati, July 12-16 - May 31, 2017
- The Quiet Circus: River Charrette 3 at Andalusia, June 11th - May 31, 2017
- Group Motion presents the SPIEL UHR Series, June 4th - May 25, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Promotes Thirteen Dancers - May 16, 2017
- Pasión y Arte with guest artist Raquel Heredia at The Barnes, June 2 - May 11, 2017
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance presents Blue Prints, June 2-4 - May 8, 2017