Tangle Movement Arts presents Points of Light, a new compilation of aerial dance from Philadelphia’s innovative circus-theater artists. Weaving stories of hope, hard-won balance, and unexpected connection with live performances on trapeze and aerial silks, Points of Light premieres at Old City’s Neighborhood House on April 7-8, 2017.
Points of Light’s nine acrobats use trapeze and aerial silks to offer tales of women traveling blindfolded, surviving under the weight of the earth, and climbing to new heights. Tangle brings these intimate portrayals of shared support and individual persistence to the historic Great Hall in Old City’s Neighborhood House.
“Bridging movement, music, and spoken word, Points of Light shares fresh stories to support and sustain,” says Tangle founder Lauren Rile Smith. “Tangle’s aerial performance aims to push the boundaries of what you can expect to see in a circus show, and we’re thrilled to be working in the unique, grand space of Neighborhood House’s Great Hall.”
Tangle Movement Arts is a circus arts company with a contemporary twist, whose work integrates traditional circus like trapeze and aerial silks with dance, theater, and spoken word to tell a multi-dimensional story. Tangle’s work reflects individuals of diverse identities, with an emphasis on queer and female experiences, and is devised collaboratively by its all-female ensemble.
Tangle is based in Philadelphia and has been a Philly FringeArts Festival favorite since its inception in 2011. Philadelphia Weekly says Tangle “blends circus-style acrobatics with a smart theatrical spin.”
Points of Light premieres at Christ Church Neighborhood House (20 N. American Street) on Friday April 7th (8pm), and Saturday April 8th (3pm and 8pm). Tickets ($10-20) are available via www.tangle-arts.com.
***photo credit: Michael Ermilio
- Pennsylvania Ballet Principal Dancer Amy Aldridge to Retire - March 28, 2017
- FringeArts announces programming for Spring 2017 - March 22, 2017
- Tangle presents Points of Light, a new collection of aerial dance stories, April 7-9 - March 21, 2017
- Philadelphia Youth Dance Fest, March 25-26 - March 17, 2017
- Chicago’s Ballet 5:8 presents The Stories of You and Me, April 2nd - March 16, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Completes the 2016-2017 Season with Two Spring Programs - March 15, 2017
- Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs, April 3rd - March 15, 2017
- The Quiet Circus: River Charrette 2 at RAIR, April 8th - March 15, 2017
- Annenberg Center Live Welcomes U.S. Tour of Pilobolus’ Shadowland, April 6-8 - March 12, 2017
- Nora Gibson Contemporary Ballet N o t h i n g T h a t I s N o t T h e r e, April 21-22 - March 11, 2017