Shut Up & Dance is an annual benefit performance produced by Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet for Metropolitan Area Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance (MANNA) which will take place this year on Saturday, April 29 at the Forrest Theatre at 8 pm. Each year, Dancers of Pennsylvania Ballet come together to perform unique pieces for a night of entertainment. This year’s performance is particularly monumental as it marks the 25th anniversary year of Shut Up & Dance.
Each Shut Up & Dance ticket purchased provides nourishing meals to MANNA clients battling life- threatening illness, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, diabetes and renal disease. Last year, the event raised more than $150,000, providing more than 37,500 meals for MANNA clients.
Pennsylvania Ballet Principal Dancer Ian Hussey returns as Producing Director for his sixth year. Hussey has participated in Shut Up & Dance since 2004.
Hussey said, “I think being a dancer and being able to put on a show like this – one that brings so much joy to the MANNA family and the dance community – is incredible. The fact that we get to do this for such an amazing cause, and having been able to raise over $150,000 last year for MANNA , most of us don’t ever really get a chance to do something like that. And we get to do it every year. It’s incredibly rewarding.”
Shut Up & Dance is bringing back to the stage host Martha Graham Cracker for the second year. After
last year’s success, MANNA could not be more excited to have her back. Tickets are available for purchase at www.mannapa.org/dance.
In addition to the performance, two exclusive parties are held before and after the show. Philanthropist Steven Korman hosts the 6:00 pm VIP party at The Forrest Theatre, featuring cocktails, food and refreshments by Di Bruno Brothers and the MANNA kitchen. Tickets for the VIP party are also available on www.mannapa.org/dance. The official Shut Up & Dance after-party at Voyeur Nightclub is open to all ticket holders and begins immediately following the performance.
Event sponsors include: Silver Sponsor: Zurich. Bronze Sponsors: Jefferson University Hospital, Independence Foundation, 20/20 Visual Media, and Penn Jersey Paper. Media Sponsor: 6abc.
- Pennsylvania Ballet Promotes Thirteen Dancers - May 16, 2017
- Pasión y Arte with guest artist Raquel Heredia at The Barnes, June 2 - May 11, 2017
- Nickerson-Rossi Dance presents Blue Prints, June 2-4 - May 8, 2017
- 7th Annual Philadelphia International Tango Festival, June 1-4 - May 4, 2017
- Bryan Koulman Dance Company & Fairmount Strings Team Up on June 9th - May 4, 2017
- Nichole Canuso Dance Company’s The Garden of Forking Paths, May 10 – June 16 - May 3, 2017
- Leah Stein premieres PORTRAITS: Duets for a More Perfect Union at Woodmere Art Museum, May 20 - May 2, 2017
- Ralph Xavier’s Here & Now Hip Hop Forum, June 10 - May 1, 2017
- Brandywine Ballet Launches Beauty & The Beast, May 19-21 - May 1, 2017
- SHARP Dance Company presents Act One, Act Two, May 12-13 - April 30, 2017