1812 Productions, Philadelphia’s all comedy theatre company, is pleased to present a one-night-only return engagement of Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs. This is a special performance benefiting The Chorister Academy of Saint Peter’s Church in Center City, Philadelphia.
The Chorister Academy of Saint Peter’s Church, whose members range in age from 6-17, has been chosen to be choir in residence at St. Paul’s Cathedral in London. Funds raised through this performance of Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs will help offset travel expenditures, ensuring that all of the children in the choir will be able to participate in this once in a lifetime experience.
Winner of the 2016 Barrymore Award for Outstanding Leading Actress, Jennifer Childs premiered Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs at 1812 Productions in 2010. A one-woman tour through jazz, tap, hip-hop and ballet, Ms. Childs takes the stage to talk about working solo on the world’s greatest equalizer, the dance floor. Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs is part stand-up, part clown, part storytelling, and lots of dance—her way.
An audience favorite, Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs went on to be performed at Pittsburgh’s City Theatre, Act II Playhouse, Delaware Theatre Company, and The John Michael Kohler Arts Center.
This benefit performance of Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs will be performed on Monday, April 3rd at 7:30pm at Plays & Players Theatre in Center City. All tickets are $25 and can be purchased at www.1812productions.org or at 215-592-9560.
About 1812 Productions
1812 Productions was founded in 1997 and is the only professional theater company in the country dedicated to comedy. With a focus on devised and original works, 1812 Productions’ mission is to produce theatrical works of comedy and comedic works of theatre that explore and celebrate our sense of community, our history, and our humanity. Visit www.1812productions.org.
Jennifer Childs (Writer/ Performer): Jennifer Childs is the Producing Artistic Director and Co-Founder of 1812 Productions. For 1812 she has created over a dozen original works of theater including This Is The Week That Is, Always a Lady, Our Show of Shows, Cherry Bomb, It’s My Party: The Women and Comedy Project, To The Moon, and I Will Not Go Gently, which was recently honored with three Barrymore Award nominations for Outstanding Overall Production of a Musical, Outstanding Leading Actress in a Musical (winner), and Outstanding Original Music. Her one-woman show Why I’m Scared of Dance by Jen Childs premiered at 1812 and has since been performed at Delaware Theatre Company, the Kohler Arts Center in Wisconsin, Act II Playhouse, and City Theatre in Pittsburgh. Favorite performances outside of 1812 include The Happiness Lecture with Bill Irwin at Philadelphia Theater Company, Spin at the Wilma Theater, and Red Herring and Dex and Julie Sittin’ in a Tree at Arden Theatre Company.
- Philadelphia Dance Projects presents an “Informance” of Wolf-in-Skins, Nov 29-30 - October 15, 2017
- Annenberg Center Live Brings Famed Hubbard Street Dance Chicago Back to Philadelphia after 10-year Absence, Oct 20-21 - October 13, 2017
- Brandywine Ballet announces the return of Nancy Page’s Dracula, Oct 20-22 - October 12, 2017
- Acclaimed Artist- Belén Maya, Comes to Drexel University - October 10, 2017
- Alonzo King LINES Biophony & The Propelled Heart at Swarthmore College, October 5th - September 28, 2017
- femme.collective presents in the shadows - September 28, 2017
- BalletX and National Dance Institute’s Teacher Training Workshop - September 19, 2017
- Pennsylvania Ballet Kicks-Off the 2017-2018 Season with Two Fall Programs - September 14, 2017
- Kulu Mele African Dance & Drum Ensemble – From Mali to America, October 15th - September 14, 2017
- WeftWorks Delves into Myths & Rituals of Ancient Crete in Mistress of the Maze - September 4, 2017