BalletX, Philadelphia’s premier contemporary ballet and Resident Dance Company of The Wilma Theater, presents a free lunchtime performance on May 21st from 12:00-1:00pm at The Porch at 30th Street Station. This performance is part of a series presented by University City District (UCD), made possible with generous support from the William Penn Foundation, which has provided leadership support for UCD’s efforts to showcase innovative cultural programming at The Porch.
In an ongoing effort to spread its cultural footprint and bring dance to a broader audience in Philadelphia, BalletX’s free performance at The Porch offers viewers the unique opportunity to see highlights from the critically acclaimed Winter Series 2014. The May 21st performance includes Slump and the duet Valentine’s Day by Joshua L. Peugh, as well as Delicate Balance by Jodie Gates.
Joshua L. Peugh’s Slump quickly became an audience favorite with its hilarious take on the traditional courting dance. Set to a catchy arrangement of Klezmer, mambo and jazz music, this piecehad audiences giggling from the start. Peugh’s tender duet Valentine’s Day, was hailed as being an “elegant, classically-minded and traditionally beautiful number” (Philadelphia Weekly). The free performance will conclude with Delicate Balance by Jodie Gates, a work that brought audiences to their feet in applause. A physically and emotionally powerful piece that highlights the athleticism and artistry of the BalletX dancers, Delicate Balance was lauded by The Philadelphia Inquirer as being “a dreamscape of motion.”
May 21, 2014 (rain date of June 20)
The Porch at 30th Street Station
30th & Market Street
Free and open to the public
- Pennsylvania Ballet Presents a Tribute to West Side Story Choreographer, Jerome Robbins - April 7, 2015
- Dance Emerge showcases eclectic work by student choreographers and Muhlenberg faculty - March 27, 2015
- Tori Lawrence and Co. Returns to the Barnes - March 25, 2015
- Tommie-Waheed Evans brings BOTCH to the Painted Bride - March 18, 2015
- Performance and Visual Art Collide as Seattle-based duo makes Philadelphia Debut - March 17, 2015