Drawn from the history, folklore and culture of Ireland and its Celtic cousins, the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts’ St. Patrick’s Day weekend presentation of Celtic Nights: A Night of Music, Song and Dance (March 15) takes audiences on a stunning musical journey of leaving and arriving.
Weaving together lilting melodies and plaintive lyrics against a thunderous backdrop of Irish step dance, Celtic Nights employs Ireland’s most promising singers and accomplished dancers to tell the story of the Celtic people’s emigration from Ireland to America and their trials and triumphs along the way.
From bluegrass to polka, country to the songs of the Civil War, a vast variety of American sounds have been inspired and influenced by Irish music; Celtic Nights audiences can expect old favorites like “Danny Boy” and “Whiskey in the Jar” as well as some surprise numbers. An “unmissable spectacular” that brings “audiences to their feet all around the world” (The Guardian), the two-hour showcase is performed by three male and three female vocalists, six of Ireland’s most talented dancers, and an ensemble of fine musicians. An artist meet-and-greet will follow the performance.
Celtic Nights: A Night of Music, Song and Dance
Saturday, March 15, 8 PM
120-minute performance with 20-minute intermission; post-show meet-and-greet with the artists
Tickets: $20 and up; Tickets to Celtic Nights are available by calling 215.898.3900, visiting annenbergcenter.org or stopping by the Box Office at the Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts, 3680 Walnut St., Philadelphia, PA 19104.
- Two Cuban Dancers Take on New Roles at Pennsylvania Ballet - April 23, 2015
- Brian Sander’s JUNK Set to Compete as truTV Reveals 10 Performance Teams in Season 2 of Fake Off - April 23, 2015
- Olive Prince presents Of Our Remnants - April 18, 2015
- Ballet 180 Unites with Composer Leonardo Le San and WRTI Host Jack Moore to Explore the Impact of Technology on the Arts and Humanity - April 17, 2015
- Move Dance Think Fest: The Significance of Everything: A Way Into Presence - April 16, 2015