Visit the vibrant, mystical fantasy of George Balanchine’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, March 7-17, 2013 at the Academy of Music. A Midsummer Night’s Dream is presented by Bank of America.
“A Midsummer Night’s Dream is undoubtedly one of my favorite full-length ballets,” Artistic Director Roy Kaiser says. “Mr. Balanchine tells the Shakespeare story so clearly with beautiful choreography throughout.”
Set to Felix Mendelssohn’s lush score, this enchanting ballet brings William Shakespeare’s classic comedy to life. The hilarious tale follows the adventures and misadventures of a group of mortals and immortals in their quest for love. More than 20 young dance students from The School of Pennsylvania Ballet fill the forest as fireflies and fairies. For the first time ever, the sets and costumes have been designed by the late Tony Award-winning designer Martin Pakledinaz. The Philadelphia Singers Chorale adds to the magic of this elaborate production, fit for all ages!
Tickets to A Midsummer Night’s Dream at the Academy of Music are on sale now, starting at $30. Tickets are available online at paballet.org, by phone at 215.893.1999, and in person at the Kimmel Center Box Office.
A Midsummer Night’s Dream performances at the Academy of Music
- Thursday, March 7 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, March 8 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, March 9 at noon
- Sunday, March 10 at 2 p.m.
- Saturday, March 16 at 2 p.m. & 8 p.m.
- Sunday, March 17 at 2 p.m.
Founded in 1963 by Balanchine student and protégée Barbara Weisberger, Pennsylvania Ballet is one of the nation’s leading ballet companies. Headquartered in Philadelphia, the Company’s annual local season features six programs of classic favorites and new works, including the Philadelphia holiday tradition, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™.
- A Few Shared Moments with Kun-Yang Lin & Dancers - April 20, 2016
- New Sales Tax On The Arts in Pennsylvania Looms Again - November 30, 2015
- The Nutcracker and Other Favorites – Our Annual Holiday Guide to Dance in Philadelphia - November 19, 2015
- BREAKING NEWS: Eastern University is set to close its Dance Department - November 18, 2015
- The Cost of Self-Producing in FringeArts - August 18, 2015