Even more PhiladelphiaDANCE: Dance Jobs & Auditions | Philadelphia Dance Directory | Philadelphia Dance Spaces | Dance Box Office | The Listserv | Twitter | FaceBook | #phillydance |

The Dance Journal has selected five student authors for its new program

random_-_004
The Dance Journal has officially launched its student author program. Five college and high school students, with an interest in dance and journalism, were recently selected to participate.  Developed under the direction of Kat Richter, each student author is paired with a staff writer from The Dance Journal.  Together, they will over the course of the Spring semester be attending dance performances in the region and writing reviews in tandem with their mentor.  All of the students recently met with Dance Journal staff at Culture Works and received a crash course in dance writing, along with style guidelines for reviewing performances.

The goal of this program is to cultivate new writers for dance, but also a new market for the development of dance audiences. At the same time, our student authors are able to build their portfolios while preparing for their future careers.  It is our hope that they will continue to see dance and write for us long after they have finished this program.

Welcome The Members of the 2013 Student Authors Program

marissa
Marissa Bottino
Marissa is a senior dance and English major at Muhlenberg College. Marissa performs and choreographs for various Muhlenberg and professional dance concerts. She also works as a lead writing tutor at her school and has been published in the Lehigh Valley Dance Exchange blog as well as previously in The Dance Journal(Review: Janis Brenner and Dancers).

me
Diana David

Diana is a sophomore Journalism major at Temple University. She has studied cultural dance, as part of her own heritage, since the age of eleven.  At Temple University, she was a member of Temple Agni, an all-girls South Asian dance troupe. Diana’s passion for dance, combined with her love of writing and journalism, has her looking forward to exploring the wide variety of dance offered in Philadelphia.

020
Hope DiTaranto
Hope is a freshman at Bishop Eustace Preparatory School.  She has studied a variety of genres of dance since the age three. Hope has a particular love and proficiency for tap dance.  She is excited about the student journalism program as a way to explore the merging of her interests in writing and dance. Hope’s first review for The Dance Journal was the Koresh Artist Showcase, now published here.

chelsey
Chelsey Nicole Hamilton
Chelsey is a sophomore at Temple University, majoring in Journalism and Dance. She has been dancing various styles since the age of four and is very excited for this opportunity to combine her two passions, as well as becoming more involved in the arts community of Philadelphia.

0387a38
Kristen Gillette
Kristen studies journalism at Temple University and has written for a wide variety of publications, including Philly2Night.com, two.one.five. Magazine, and Cred Magazine, working to expand her knowledge of music and the arts. Other publications she’s interned for include Technically Philly and MetroKids Magazine. After taking dance lessons as a child, Kristen returned to ballet as an adult and blogs about her experience at Adultballerinaproject.com.

- Steven Weisz

Founder & Editor
While not a dancer himself, Weisz’s love for the arts and dance started as a child growing up in New York City. With parents, who were strong supporters of the arts and part of a community with an incredible array of notable artists in music, dance, theater and fine arts, Weisz’s access and affinity for the performing arts took root. Upon attending college in Philadelphia at the University of Pennsylvania in the mid 70’s, Weisz started performing as a puppeteer, magician, juggler and fire eater as a means of supplementing his income. This soon grew in to what became Rainbow Promotions Inc., one of the largest entertainment and special events producers in the region. It was here that he began to promote and book dance for major events throughout the city. Many of the dancers he worked with in the early days of his company are now major choreographers in Philadelphia. At the same time, Weisz’s interest in computers and the early developments of what is now known as the Internet, led him to also start another company, Delaware Valley On Line, which became one of the first regional ISPs. It was this combination of event production, internet development and event marketing that led him to examine the use of the internet as a means to promote the arts. Dance continued to be a major interest for Weisz and in 2005 he founded PhiladelphiaDANCE.org as a major online resource to promote dance in the city. It was soon after that the Dance Journal was also founded as a way to provide an outlet for writing on a range of topics that encompass the ever growing and emerging dance community in the region. Weisz continues to run both PhiladelphiaDANCE and The Dance Journal on purely a voluntary basis with no income derived from any of his projects. He is also the Artistic Director of Graffito Works, a unique platform for dancers and performing artists to create site-specific work and to make it readily accessible to the public.

Visit My Website
View All Posts