by Kara Church for The Dance Journal
October is the month to commemorate the arts in a big way! It is National Arts and Humanities Month—the largest annual celebration for the arts and humanities in the nation!
National Arts and Humanities Month (NAHM) is a coast-to-coast collective recognition of the importance of culture in America. It is designed to encourage all Americans to explore new facets of the arts and humanities in their lives, and to begin a lifelong habit of active participation in the arts and humanities.
The National Endowment For The Arts (NEA) has chosen to spotlight different arts organization each day in October on their FaceBook page at https://www.facebook.com/NationalEndowmentfortheArts
PhiladelphiaDANCE.org was recognized in National Arts and Humanities Month Spotlight for its work – “This organization and its websites (over a dozen sites) provide comprehensive information about dance in the greater Philadelphia region. They operate on a purely volunteer basis and at no expense to the community. They have over the past six years increased the visibility of dance and the arts to all of Philadelphia as well as the Northeast corridor. They have helped through marketing and even financial donations both smaller dance companies trying to develop a presence as well as already established ones. They advocate and lobby for the arts and arts education and bring to the forefront many of the issues that affect all of us.”
At a time when the arts, arts education and funding for the arts have come under fire, it is even more critical that we all create a greater awareness and recognition of what the arts mean to each of us. Visit the National Assembly of State Agencies web site to learn more about how you can celebrate the arts this month – http://www.nasaa-arts.org/Advocacy/National-Arts-and-Humanities-Month.php
- Three Philadelphia Scottish Dancers Invited to Scotland’s Edinburgh Castle to Perform in the 66th Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo - August 3, 2015
- Your help is needed to preserve Grants to the Arts - July 6, 2015
- U.S. Senate & House Committees Advance NEA Funding - June 17, 2015
- Mendelssohn Club of Philadelphia and Leah Stein Dance Company to present TURBINE - June 15, 2015
- Cardell Dance Theater to debut major new dance work inspired by immigration, SUPPER, PEOPLE ON THE MOVE - June 14, 2015