Temple University’s Boyer College of Music and Dance Offers A Speaker Series – Reflection:ResponseSep 26th, 2012 | By Steven Weisz | Category: For Immediate Release
Temple University’s Boyer College of Music and Dance offers Reflection:Response, a performance and speaker series that brings together artists and scholars to explore how we assimilate ideas and events and our resulting actions within the field of dance. The series invites attendees to consider as a starting point how one ‘reflects’ and ‘responds’ through different kinds of embodiment.
The Experiential Body
- How have we re-conceived the body through new somatic methodologies?
- In what ways has the digital age altered how we present and disseminate dance?
- How do we learn through occupying or transgressing our mobile and multiple identities?
The Choreographic Body
- To what extent is dance troubled by the external visual gaze and how might we seek to resist this?
- How can choreography challenge traditional time frames and mobilize dance into alternative spatial configurations?
- What are the politics of archiving and re-staging work and what role does intentionality play?
The Activist Body
- How does our practice speak back to the economic landscape, political rhetoric and social values?
- Are we able to take risks with dance that might engender a collective effort to take affirmative action?
- Can dance engineer community revitalization and does it offer opportunity to dismantle normative hierarchies?
SPEAKER SERIES SCHEDULE
October 19, 2012 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
“Doppelgänger with a Difference: African Americana in Ruth Page’s Ballets”
Presenter: Dr. Joellen Meglin, Temple University Dance Dept. Faculty
November 9, 2012 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
“More Savage than Any of Them”: Ritualized Sexual Aggression in the Apache Dance of the Ragtime Dance Era and Beyond”
Presenter: Dr. Eden Kainer, Independent Scholar / PHENND
November 30, 2012 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
“Performing ‘One Country, Two Systems’”: Experimental Kun Opera in Hong Kong”
Presenter: Ellen Gerdes, Temple University Dance Dept. Adjunct Faculty
Location For All Speaker Series
Temple University – Room 312
1700 North Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19122